A gynecologist may prescribe pimafucin tablets to treat intestinal candidiasis in pregnant women, men, or children. They have a complex effect, are safe for use even in newborns, because the active substance natamycin in the composition is not absorbed by the blood. Read the indications for the use of Pimafucin, dosage and contraindications.
Pimafucin tablets - instructions for use
The antifungal drug Pimafucin in tablets is available for the treatment of intestinal candidiasis, internal mycoses and other fungal diseases. According to the pharmacological classification, the medicine belongs to the group of natamycin antibiotics that selectively act on pathogenic pathogens. The active substance in the medication is natamycin.
One tablet of an effective antifungal antibiotic accounts for 100 mg of natamycin. The full composition of pimafucin is listed below in the table:
Potato starch, povidone K 30, magnesium stearate, lactose monohydrate
Cellacephate, triacetin, sucrose, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, calcium carbonate, kaolin, talc, titanium dioxide, acacia gum, gelatin, white beeswax
Other forms of the drug contain:
- Suppositories - 100 mg of natamycin, excipients cetyl alcohol, solid fat, sorbitol, polysorbate, sodium bicarbonate, adipic acid.
- 1 g of cream contains 20 mg of natamycin, decyl oleate, cetyl ether wax, cetostearyl alcohol, sodium lauryl sulfate, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, propyl parahydroxybenzoate, propylene glycol, and purified water are additional components.
Pimafucin is available in the form of round tablets, enteric coated with a white or almost white color. A medicine of 20 pieces is enclosed in dark glass bottles and cardboard packs. Other formats of Pimafucin are vaginal suppositories (3 and 6 pieces in a blister pack of PVC or aluminum), cream for external use (plastic or metal tube 30 g), a suspension for processing the oral cavity and ear canal (2.5%).
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
The active substance Pimafucin natamycin is included in the group of polyene antimycotics from the group of antibiotics-macrolides, has a wide spectrum of action. Suppresses candida fungi, dermatophytes and other pathogenic microorganisms are considered less susceptible. Instructions for use emphasize that natamycin is active against all fungi, but doctors prefer to treat them only candidiasis.
Natamycin has a fungicidal activity, blocks the special components (sterols) of the cell membranes of pathogens, which leads to their death. In clinical practice, there have been no cases of resistance (resistance) to the active substance. It is practically not absorbed in the digestive canal, is not absorbed from the mucous membranes and skin integuments. Due to the enteric coating of Pimafucin tablets, their effect occurs inside the intestine.
Indications for use
According to the instructions for use of the drug, the following indications for its use are distinguished:
- intestinal candidiasis;
- treatment of dermatomycosis, skin lesions;
- elimination of symptoms of thrush;
- acute pseudomembranous and acute atrophic candidiasis;
- treatment of patients with cachexia, immune deficiency, treated with antibiotics, corticosteroids, cytostatics;
- sanitation of the intestinal reservoir with candidiasis of the skin, mucous membranes, with advanced or chronic vaginal candidiasis, vulvitis, vulvovaginitis, balanoposthitis with increased secretions;
- complex treatment of systemic skin diseases;
- fungal lesions of the genitals, skin, appendages of the skin, candidiasis of the nails.
How to take Pimafucin
Tablets are taken orally, regardless of the meal, since it does not affect its effectiveness as an antifungal component. Pimafucin Dosage:
- with intestinal damage, adults take 100 mg of natamycin (1 tablet) four times a day, children - twice, the course of treatment is a week;
- in case of persistent vaginitis caused by Candida mushrooms, along with local antifungal drugs (Pimafucin suppositories), tablets should be drunk 4 times a day for a course of infection within the intestines, with a course of 10-20 days;
- in the treatment of thrush and its varieties on the genitals, the duration of treatment lasts up to three weeks (a break for the period of menstruation is done only with candles), together with the sexual partner;
- with candidiasis of nails, along with cream, tablets are used four times a day for a course of 2-3 months;
- with common candidiasis of the skin, along with local application of the cream, 4 tablets are drunk per day for a weekly course;
- with onychomycosis, along with the use of natamycin and cream, 4 tablets are taken per day for a course of 2-3 months;
- the duration of therapy for fungal infection is set individually, after the disappearance of symptoms, treatment continues for several more days.
Instructions for use of the drug contain a section of special instructions. Short excerpts from it:
- the composition of the medication contains 66 mg of lactose monohydrate (milk sugar) and 122 mg of sucrose for patients with rare congenital intolerance to galactose, fructose, lactase deficiency, glucose-galactose malabsorption or sucrose-isomalt deficiency before consultation, you should consult your doctor;
- tablets are not recommended for use in infants due to the difficulty of swallowing;
- the medicine does not affect the speed of psychomotor reactions, therefore, it can be used when driving cars and dangerous mechanisms.
Pimafucin is not forbidden to use during pregnancy. It is included in the complex treatment of thrush, which occurs due to a change in the hormonal background during the bearing of the child, proceeding in conjunction with a decrease in immunity and a violation of the normal bacterial flora. In case of a chronic infection or advanced disease, a cream is additionally prescribed to the tablets; contraception to protect the partner’s organs is supposed to be barrier means.
Pimafucin for lactation
If the thrush has hit the mammary glands of the nursing mother, gynecologists can prescribe Pimafucin tablets to her. They eliminate burning sensation, pain, tingling in the nipple. Also, the drug treats candidiasis of the oral mucosa, mycosis of the ear canal. At the time of treatment, you should refuse to feed, because the medicine can worsen the quality of milk.
Pimafucin for children
The features of the drug are the lack of penetration into the gastrointestinal tract, which makes it attractive in comparison with other antibiotics for children. Pimafucin does not cause a large number of adverse reactions, it is prescribed for candidiasis of the gastrointestinal tract. The children's dosage is 100 mg (one tablet) twice a day. Older children can be assigned up to four pieces, up to a year - part of the pill. Allowed complex therapy with candles or cream.
Instructions for use Pimafucin in the form of tablets indicates that no drug interaction with other drugs has been detected. This means that you can safely combine the funds, but only after consulting a doctor. It is allowed to take several varieties of Pimafucin in parallel to accelerate recovery and reduce the time for therapy.
The drug Pimafucin in tablet form has few contraindications, because it is considered one of the safest antimycotics and antibiotics. The only caveat for patients becomes hypersensitivity to natamycin or other derivatives of the drug. It is worth consulting with a doctor about taking medication for patients with diabetes mellitus, possible allergies.
Side effects and overdose
In the first days of taking an antibiotic, side effects may occur that pass on their own with the course of treatment. These include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, itching. If the signs become more pronounced or other adverse reactions join them, you should consult a doctor. According to the instructions, an overdose of the drug is unlikely due to its low absorption. Her cases are unknown to practice.
Terms of sale and storage
The drug is dispensed from pharmacies without a prescription. It is stored in a place protected from light and children at temperatures up to 25 degrees. Shelf life is four years.
The tablet format of the drug is used only for the treatment and prevention of candidiasis, but they cannot be treated for thrush (vaginal and others). For the latter, use candles and cream. There are no full analogues of Pimafucin, but there are exemplary substitutes for the treatment of gastrointestinal candidiasis that have a systemic effect - they enter the bloodstream, act on all systems and organs of the body, have some liver toxicity and side effects, according to reviews:
You can buy Pimafucin on the Internet or in the usual pharmacy departments. The price depends on the level of pricing of trade enterprises and the form of issue. The approximate cost of Pimafucin in different formats is shown below:
Price when buying online, rubles
Price on a pharmacy shelf, rubles
Tablets, 100 mg, 20 pcs.
Cream 2% 30 ml
Vaginal suppositories 100 mg 3 pcs.
Vasily, 34 years old At the last medical examination, the doctor looked at the test results, revealed my intestinal candidiasis. It was scary, incomprehensible, but everything is treatable. I was prescribed Pimafucin tablets, told to follow a diet, come for an examination in a month. Repeated blood test, feces did not reveal pathologies, you can not worry about health.
Anastasia, 29 years old I have a chronic thrush, which worsens a couple of times a year, but I successfully treat it with candles. When I became pregnant, the disease began to appear more often, I had to consult a doctor for new treatment. He added Pimafucin tablets to the vaginal suppositories, saying that they are safe. I read reviews on them, decided to be treated. While waiting for the result.
Elizabeth, 48 years old. After relaxing in a hot country and constantly hiking barefoot on the beach, I picked up a fungus. The disease quickly spread over two toes, began to interfere with walking, nails ached unbearably. Nothing helped. The dermatologist also said to treat the intestines, prescribed Pimafucin, but he also did not help. I am waiting with horror for a nail removal operation.
Igor, 33 years old I don’t know where I picked up the fungus of the foot, but it began to spread higher, capturing the second leg. I went to a dermatologist right away to stop progress. Having examined the skin, he diagnosed mycosis, prescribed a treatment complex, which included ointments, drops, pimafucin tablets. I followed the treatment, for six months I got rid of an unpleasant infection.Attention! The information presented in the article is for guidance only. Materials of the article do not call for independent treatment. Only a qualified doctor can make a diagnosis and give recommendations for treatment based on the individual characteristics of a particular patient.