Facing stresses every day, a person has to either learn to resist them, or take sedatives for the nervous system. The first option involves playing sports, having an interesting hobby, mastering meditation, but not always even such harmless methods help calm the nerves, restore normal heartbeat, ease intestinal cramps and other side effects. But to take sedatives - this means quickly solving the problem, provided that the sedative is selected correctly.
What sedatives can be taken from nerves
Among sedative drugs that help to tidy up the nervous system and reduce the manifestation of concomitant symptoms, sedative tablets, drops, teas, tinctures, herbal preparations, solutions, extracts are found. In the treatment of certain diseases, drugs are prescribed together with sleeping pills, painkillers, tranquilizers, antipsychotics. Taking sedatives, especially when combined with other medicines, requires a consultation with a doctor, especially when it comes to the strongest sedatives.
If help to the nervous system is required from case to case, then it is better to reduce the effects of a stressful situation with herbal preparations. Most of these drugs are sold by pharmacies without a prescription; their effectiveness depends on the individual characteristics of the body. There is a sedative for children and adults, combined, liquid (medicine, drops), homeopathic - everything that helps to relax, restore good mood, normalize sleep.
Examinations, a busy work schedule, unpleasant home situations can test the strength of the nervous system of any adult. But the modern drug market has something to offer people who are exposed to stress. Valerian tincture, herbal preparations Fitosed or Fitosedan, a strong sedative Phenibut, and with them peony extract, lemon balm herb, hawthorn, Persen, Valemidin, Novopassit, Afobazol, Adaptol - these are just some of the sedatives for adults.
Various factors can disrupt the functioning of the nervous system, causing along with anxiety, anxiety, and fears, symptoms such as arrhythmia, sweating, hand tremors, and intestinal cramps. In these cases, you can hardly do without taking sedatives, and running to the doctor’s appointment does not always make sense. To restore good health, you can buy some sedatives in pharmacies without a prescription. The range, the price of such sedatives allow you to choose the best remedy that will help calm down.
- Release form: tablets.
- Action: An easy tranquilizer to combat anxiety symptoms, which through the activation of sigma (intracellular proteins) helps restore GABA receptors. Violation of the latter leads to a feeling of anxiety, and the action of a sedative, unlike traditional tranquilizers, occurs indirectly. An over-the-counter drug is used to treat neurosis, severe stress, and smoking. The drug, intended exclusively for people who have reached the age of 18, removes the symptoms that accompany the anxiety state: sweating, trembling hands, intestinal cramps, heart palpitations and breathing, dizziness.
- Dosage: on a tablet after eating, the daily dose is up to three doses per day. The duration of the course is from two weeks to three months.
- Side effects: allergy.
- Contraindications: pregnancy, breast-feeding, hypersensitivity.
- Release form: tablets, capsules.
- Action: at the same time it is also an excellent antispasmodic drug that quickly helps to cope with strong nervous excitability. Insomnia, irritability, anxiety - all these are direct prerequisites for taking a sedative without a prescription. Persen, whose instructions show that this is a double-acting remedy, is just as effective as Perselac, used to relax nerves.
- Dosage: for adults, two tablets, and for children under 12 years of age, one two to three times a day. Persen, whose use is limited to a monthly course or up to six weeks, sometimes drink longer (on the recommendation of a doctor).
- Side effects: allergy, constipation.
- Contraindication: low blood pressure, fructose intolerance, pregnancy, lactation, with inflammation of the bile ducts.
- Release form: tablets.
- Action: improves mood, emotional background, relieves nervous tension, irritability. An effective remedy does not cause a state of lethargy, drowsiness, but it is better for drivers to consult a doctor about the dosage. The drug is successfully used in the treatment of anxiety, stress, neurosis and as a drug to improve memory.
- Dosage: one tablet no more than four times a day, preferably after a meal. Therapy lasts one month, in some cases three. Tenoten for children is used only as directed by a doctor.
- Side effects: none.
- Contraindication: sensitivity to components.
- Release form: tablets, solution.
- Action: relieves anxiety, fears. Novopassit, the instruction for use of which is in every package, is used for stress, overwork, mild neurasthenia, headache, insomnia, and chronic fatigue. As a concomitant medicine, green medicine is drunk by nervous people, women during menopause and patients suffering from itchy dermatosis. It is forbidden to drink alcohol while taking this sedative. A medicine with a sedative effect reduces the concentration of attention, therefore, it is not recommended for those who drive a car.
- Dosage: one tablet or 5 ml of the solution three times a day. Antidepressant use lasts from two to four weeks.
- Side effects: nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, muscle weakness, diarrhea.
- Contraindication: tendency to allergic reactions, head injuries, epilepsy, liver disease.
A sedative for the nervous system on herbs is the most common recommendation from doctors. The chemical components included in the drug load the work of other organs, and drugs based on products of natural origin (herbs) are mild. This feature includes them in the list of sedatives, which the doctor will advise if there is no need to give injections or take potent sedatives in a different form. Another advantage is that there is no risk of addiction, which is important for health.
Motherwort forte (Evalar)
- Release form: tablets.
- Action: a natural remedy helps to quickly remove irritability, tension. Mild sedative effect increases resistance to stress, relaxes muscles. To take emotions under control, to curb stress - this is the main purpose of a sedative, which normalizes sleep, relieves muscle cramps, and helps to cope with psychological stress. It is recommended to use a sedative for mild forms of apathy, chronic fatigue, and the drug also helps fight depression.
- Dosage: a tablet up to three times a day, it is necessary to take the drug before meals.
- Side effects: none.
- Contraindication: pregnancy, breast-feeding.
- Release form: tablets, alcohol tincture, tea, capsules.
- Action: the most famous name for a sedative for the nervous system. Soothing is used when there is a feeling of anxiety, sleep disturbance, an upset cardiovascular system, a panic attack, and depression. You will be able to buy a sedative in a pharmacy without a prescription, but you should consult a specialist before taking it. The components of any of the dosage forms of the roots of medicinal valerian affect the reaction, so drivers and those who work with mechanisms should be careful. The action of the drug does not appear immediately, but has a long lasting effect.
- Dosage: attention! An overdose can cause bradycardia! Nervous diseases require taking the drug before meals, one tablet or 20-25 drops three to four times a day. The course is prescribed by the doctor individually.
- Contraindication: pregnancy, lactation, hypersensitivity, children up to a year.
- Side effects: constipation, drowsiness, decreased performance.
Learn more about taking valerian.
Anger, aggression, a nervous breakdown in men and women can cause various reasons, in the fair sex, irritability can cause a period of PMS. Nervous diseases require attention, in such cases, doctors recommend a good cure for nerves in the form of herbal collection. A sedative for the nervous system, donated by nature itself, is able to act more efficiently, helping to relieve stress, normalize sleep, without causing addiction. Among the herbs that are used are lemon balm, peppermint, St. John's wort, valerian roots, chamomile flowers.
The recipe for herbal soothing collection No. 1 (for insomnia, relieves irritability):
- 40 g of mint leaves, watch.
- 20 g of hop cones, valerian roots.
- Mix all the ingredients well, take a couple of tablespoons of the finished product, pour hot water at the rate of 200 ml. Infuse the mixture for at least half an hour, strain. The procedure for taking is simple: drink the broth at night.
The recipe for herbal soothing collection No. 2 (normalizes sleep, increased nervous irritability, helps strengthen the nervous system):
- 40 g of valerian roots;
- 60 g of chamomile flowers;
- 80 g of caraway seeds.
- Stir the components, take a couple of tablespoons of the mixture, pour a glass of hot water, leaving to infuse for about half an hour. Before reception, strain, drink only in freshly prepared form.
This form of medication is popular among people, because it’s convenient to drink it, diluting it with a little water. The advantage of drops in speed, as well as an assortment, wide and designed for a different budget. Among the drugs, it is easy to find inexpensive, accessible to a wide range of patients, including unprotected segments of the population (senior citizens, children). Common drugs are described below.
- Action: sedative with sedative effect, used for cardiac neurosis, anxiety, irritability, fear, insomnia.
- Dosage: determined by the doctor individually, as well as the duration of sedation.
- Side effects: drowsiness, dizziness, impaired coordination, rhinitis, conjunctivitis.
- Contraindication: pregnancy, lactation, hypersensitivity, chronic diseases of the liver, kidneys.
- Action: an analogue of Valocardin, but not as fast. According to the instructions, Corvalol is a milder sedative that helps relieve spasms, normalizes the heartbeat. It is successfully used in vegetative-vascular dystonia and as an intestinal antispasmodic.
- Dosage: according to the individual scheme prescribed by the doctor.
- Side effects: drowsiness, dizziness, allergies, decreased attention span, so drivers should take drops with caution.
- Contraindication: for children under three years of age, pregnant women, nursing mothers, with traumatic brain injuries.
- Action: a soothing complex preparation based on herbal ingredients. Prescribe sedative drops with increased excitability, a feeling of anxiety, irritability, and insomnia.
- Dosage: 20-30 drops, diluted in a small amount of water, are taken according to the scheme (early intake in the morning, and then at lunch or before bedtime) for four weeks.
- Contraindication: pregnancy, lactation.
- Side effects: decreased concentration and reaction rate.
Nervous irritability, sleep disturbance, tearfulness, adolescence - the reasons why doctors can prescribe sedatives for children. The ideal option suggests that it is better to avoid giving infants and older children soothing. Although finding among the medicines offered in pharmacies that are safe for health and with no side effects will not be difficult. Natural drinks - herbal teas, Tenoten children, Notta and a number of other sedatives - are used in pediatric practice, along with vitamins.
From year to 3 years
Even sedatives based on herbal components should be given to babies with special care. Among the sedatives recommended by pediatricians (Dr. Komarovsky) for children, including infants, Bai Bai drops, Hipp herbal tea, Phenibut tablets, Shalun caramels. Disorders of sleep, tantrums, bedwetting in a child can be caused by anxieties, fears from external phenomena.
For hyperactive children
For children who find it difficult to concentrate on something for a long time, to sit still, experts recommend giving plant-based sedatives similar in effect. According to the reviews of practitioners, the most effective sedatives are Tenoten children's homeopathic remedy, Hare Syrup, Edas 306, Caprice. Safe, but useless are Cortexin, Semax, Piracetam, Pantogam. Avoid taking cheap syrups so you don't have to go to the dentist often.
Irritability, anxiety, fears are considered natural for this period. The restructuring of the body, a new idea of the world around is not easy for the psyche of a teenager. If you can’t cope with the nerves on your own, you need to start taking sedatives, especially during exams, depression or a nervous breakdown. The soothing collection No. 1, Nott's homeopathic remedy, Phenibut tablets, Magnesium will help improve mood. Powerful Phenazep, like bromine or Grandaxinum, is prescribed exclusively by a doctor!
How to calm the nerves during pregnancy
The period of bearing a child is difficult for each woman - this is a serious test of the strength of the whole organism. The nervous system is subjected to tremendous stress, and yet any sedatives during any trimester are categorically not recommended. Only in exceptional cases, in order to calm down, pregnant women are allowed to drink herbal preparations, presented in four different versions, and only after a mandatory consultation with a specialist.
For nursing mothers
The period of breastfeeding in women is associated with anxiety, lack of sleep, depression, fatigue when caring for a newborn. This often leads to the appearance of irritability, a nervous state of a nursing mother. Overwhelmed by a woman who has recently been giving birth to every little thing during lactation, doctors recommend taking such sedatives: valerian, herbal teas with lemon balm, mint, and inhalation with essential oil.
Sedatives for the elderly
Due to many concomitant diseases, elderly people are strictly forbidden to take sedatives for the nervous system without consulting a doctor. Even harmless sleeping pills, taken uncontrollably, can seriously affect the well-being of an elderly person, especially those with diabetes. Normalize sleep, bring the nervous system into a balanced state, moderate anxiety, cheer up - all this is achievable without taking even an inexpensive sedative, medicine is not always a panacea.
Following the popular wisdom that it’s better to see once, even from short videos, you can learn more about the characteristics of the sedative, who are suitable and how to use it, than just see the photo. In an accessible format, recommendations are presented that will help restore normal functioning of the nervous system, improve mood, and relieve anxiety. You will learn more about this in the video below.