Alcoholism is a disease characterized by excessive consumption of alcohol. As a result of constant intoxication, a person's ability to work, moral values fall, and health deteriorates greatly. Some people with alcohol addiction still manage to get rid of the frequent use of alcohol. At the same time, not all of them know how to properly restore their own body after constant use of alcohol. They should attach no less importance to this moment than the very rejection of alcohol.
Is it possible to restore the body after alcoholism
On its own and without consequences for the state of health, the body can remove from 5 to 10 mg of ethanol metabolites in an hour. This amount is allowed to be used by an adult - alcohol in small volumes can sometimes be beneficial - it is believed that alcohol can dissolve sclerotic plaques. Restoring the body after giving up alcohol is possible, but it can take years - a person should have a powerful incentive for this. The fact is that in the process of consumption of alcoholic beverages in the body of the drinker, a large number of changes occur. Some of them are irreversible.
Nevertheless, with a competent approach, the human body is well regenerated even after significant changes. To improve health, a former alcoholic needs time and recovery, which includes the use of a certain number of medications and psychological help. In the latter case, support of the near and dear ones is considered important.
What organs suffer from alcohol
The consequences of refusing alcohol are very different, because as a result of a prolonged alcoholic libation, a person suffers from all internal organs. Pathological processes develop throughout the body - first of all, it is the liver, brain, gastrointestinal tract (gastrointestinal tract), central nervous system (central nervous system). Penetrating the bloodstream into the heart, alcohol continues to have a devastating effect there. Heart cells begin to gradually break down, resulting in micro-scars. More on the effects on some organs:
- A heart. The heart muscle becomes less elastic and does not have time to push the blood, with which it begins to simply choke. The heart of an alcoholic is always enlarged because it is covered with adipose tissue. Blood clots form in the capillaries and arteries, which do not allow nutrients and oxygen to pass to part of the heart muscle. Tissues begin to die due to this process - this is called a heart attack.
- Brain. He suffers more and more than all other organs when ethyl alcohol enters the human body. Intoxication can affect large areas of the brain, killing cells (neurons), many of which will no longer be replaced by new ones. In addition to destroying neurons, alcohol can cause dulling of brain activity. This effect is due to the fact that the brain substance begins to shrink, and its initial function is disrupted due to the loss of cerebrospinal fluid.
- Liver. This body takes the first blow from drinking alcohol. Regardless of the dose, for a liver, any stroke is more or less destructive. Cells in it die, and their place is taken by connective tissue and fat. As a result, fatty degeneration of the liver, called hepatosis, occurs. This can lead to cirrhosis, cancer.
- Esophagus. Under the influence of alcoholic beverages, varicose veins of the esophagus occur. Over time, they undergo deformation and become weak - at some point they simply burst. Such a process will lead to internal (severe) bleeding. After this, blood will rapidly accumulate in the stomach, which will develop hemorrhagic shock.
- Pancreas. Alcohol along with blood also gets into this organ, resulting in a spasm of the ducts. As a result, gland enzymes accumulate, which begin to digest the pancreas from the inside.
- Stomach. After ingestion of alcohol, active production of the enzyme begins in the stomach. Alcohol, connecting with them, destroys the mucous membrane and the walls of the stomach. The result is that the body begins to digest itself. This process goes into rot, which causes the development of gastritis, ulcers, and cancer of the stomach.
- Digestive tract. The protective layer of the gastrointestinal tract is seriously affected by the effects of alcoholic beverages. The microflora of the digestive tract begins to die, and blood circulation - is disturbed. The result is the appearance of numerous erosions that degenerate into ulcers, and they - into malignant tumors.
How much is the body recovering
After refusing to drink alcoholic beverages, the body will recover for 2-3 years, provided that none of the organs is seriously damaged, and continues to perform its function normally. Otherwise, rehabilitation will take significantly more time, but it will not be possible to restore health to the level at which it was before the person became an alcoholic. If the body physically got rid of the consequences of alcoholism in a few years, then the toxic effect of ethanol on the brain will not normalize the patient’s mental state.
What will happen to the body if you stop drinking
The consequences of quitting alcohol are very different, because when a person stops taking alcohol, global changes are observed in him. Rapid improvement is not worth the wait. Not so much physically as psychologically, the former alcoholic is still chained to ethanol, which raises his mood and gives a sense of being. In the first weeks without alcohol, a person who has consumed alcohol for many years will be in a stressful state and very depressed mood. Sometimes it is impossible for him to do without a psychologist.
A person after refusing to drink alcoholic beverages is faced with withdrawal syndrome. This is a complex of body reactions that appear in response to the cessation of the intake or reduction of the dose of a substance (in this case, ethanol), which is addictive. During this period, the human body begins to rebel, demanding the usual dose of alcohol-containing drinks - the main thing for a former alcoholic is to restrain himself and not return to his previous lifestyle.
The recovery period after alcohol depends on many factors, and the former alcoholic will have to prepare for the fact that for some time he will be haunted by a painful desire to return to the previous path. The body will begin to require the usual "doping." To cope with the withdrawal syndrome, a variety of medications are prescribed, and it is recommended to resort to folk remedies. With the withdrawal syndrome, a person feels some discomfort and a number of symptoms, which are:
- severe migraines;
- nausea, vomiting;
- tremor of limbs;
- heavy sweating;
- insomnia, sleep disturbance;
- mood swings;
- state of arousal;
- general weakness, malaise;
- in some cases hallucinations develop, convulsions appear.
Symptoms depending on severity
How much the body will recover after prolonged use of alcohol, and how the body will specifically react, depends on the age and gender of the person, the initial general state of health, and the presence of additional chronic diseases. The symptoms of withdrawal are divided into three degrees of severity:
- Mild symptoms. After stopping the use of alcoholic beverages, they begin to appear from several hours to 10 days - an average of 6-48 hours. With the resumption of drinking, alcohol products often disappear.
- Severe symptoms. The term after the cessation of alcohol consumption is in 48-96 hours. Sometimes alcohol withdrawal syndrome is called delirium tremens, or alcohol delirium, i.e. the most severe form. Although this syndrome is diverse.
- Prodromal symptoms. They are considered precursors and are barely noticeable: negativity, mild irritability. At times, only auditory hallucinations, tremors are observed, and a detailed alcoholic delirium does not occur. Often, withdrawal cider begins with the appearance of a large epileptic seizure - in this case, its other causes are excluded: infections (for example, meningitis), traumatic brain injury.
Stages of the recovery process
After the former alcoholic completely overcomes dependence on alcohol products, his body systems will begin to actively recover. Due to this, the establishment of metabolic processes is observed, and mucous tissues begin to resuscitate. The recovery of the body with an integrated approach occurs in several stages, at which one or another change can be noted:
- 10 days without alcohol;
- 2 weeks;
10 days without alcohol
After the incident 10 days after tying up with alcohol products, a significant part of the toxins accumulated in the body will be removed. The former alcoholic will feel better, a surge of vigor and energy. Organs will begin to gradually return to the usual course for their work. In addition, it is observed:
- return of good and sound sleep;
- improved color and condition of the skin;
- elimination of dizziness;
- normalization of the digestive tract (elimination of excruciating heartburn and other gastric discomfort).
After a fortnight of freedom from substances containing ethanol, a person begins to appear clarity of thinking. Thanks to this, he can again process incoming information from the outside, perform primitive analytics and draw sensible conclusions. The cardiovascular system begins to function in a mode close to normal. The person who quit drinking leaves the following symptoms:
- spontaneous shortness of breath.
A month without a drink
A month after the last drink, the former drinker begins to lose weight if he does not eat denser than usual. This is due to the fact that the calories contained in alcoholic beverages cease to enter the body. Leaving the body, ethanol metabolites take with them and excess body fat. The following changes are observed:
- restoration and stabilization of the reproductive system;
- the brain gets rid of the lion's share of dead tissue and toxins, and begins to work in a more natural mode;
- the psycho-emotional state improves significantly, the craving for drinking alcohol passes.
Change after giving up alcohol
Recovery from refusal to drink alcohol is a long process, because ethanol adversely affects all parts of the body. All the described processes that occur after tying with alcohol are averaged, because the body of each person is individual. That is, periods of purification can take place in different ways. To get a more specific picture of how the body is resuscitated, it is necessary to become familiar with the processes that occur in individual parts of the body. In any case, a person improves health, sleep, mood.
How does appearance change
The constant use of alcoholic beverages contributes to the expansion of blood vessels, as a result of which the face begins to redden, swell, and wrinkles appear due to dehydration. After refusing it, a person undergoes reverse reactions, i.e. narrowing of blood vessels is observed. Appearance changes as follows:
- acne disappears;
- the skin of the face is lightened;
- skin diseases gradually disappear;
- ends with blue, redness of the cheeks and nose;
- the shape of the face changes, the person begins to look younger;
- the aging process slows down;
- swelling goes away.
- the skin becomes more elastic again;
Does the liver recover
This organ is the main "cleansing factory" of the body - it distills a large amount of blood through itself. At the same time, the liver is considered one of the fastest regenerating organs. If for many years of drinking it did not undergo cirrhosis or other serious consequences under the influence of ethanol, then recovery will occur relatively quickly. To speed up the regeneration process, a former alcoholic needs to adhere to a diet that consists of natural and healthy foods.
In the first months after giving up alcohol, you need to minimize or better completely eliminate food, which contains flavor and odor enhancers, emulsifiers, preservatives, dyes and other components of the chemical industry. Daily consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables, freshly squeezed juices and natural products will help to quickly put in order not only the liver, but the whole body. The intake of synthetic trace elements and vitamins in this case is not recommended, even if their content in the body is low.
Brain cells after alcohol
The brain begins to resuscitate about 16 days after refusing alcohol, but the rate of recovery of this organ depends on which departments have been affected. Drinking people often do not realize how destructive the effects of alcohol on brain cells. If a person continues to drink, then this kind of dependence will eventually lead to the degradation of all brain function and the formation of various mental illnesses. All this will lead to dementia, i.e. dementia.
Renal and pancreatic resuscitation
Against the backdrop of alcoholism, kidney failure can develop, but the kidneys, like the liver, can independently reanimate. If you stop the intake of alcohol, then this process will take at least 7-8 weeks - the specific period depends on the length of service of the alcoholic, age, kidney resources and health status. You can speed up the process of kidney rehabilitation with the help of recommendations:
- Establish a drinking regimen, join fractional and sparing nutrition.
- Set aside time for active sports regularly. Exercise helps accelerate metabolic processes. This has a positive effect on the work of the entire urinary system.
Recommendations that will help return the pancreas to normal operation are almost the same as for the liver. Additionally, you can say that you need to eat more often, but in smaller portions. Try to arrange the diet so that the menu has less heat-treated and fatty foods. At the same time, increase your intake of vegetable fats (oils, nuts) and natural protein.
How to help the body after alcohol
To restore health after prolonged use of alcohol, medication is required, which can be prescribed by a general practitioner. Equally important is psychological help. Health after serious alcohol intoxication should be restored only in a clinical setting. In this case, the patient needs to be hospitalized so that specialists can conduct a series of resuscitation measures. To cleanse the body of residues of ethyl alcohol, they often resort to traditional medicine.
Remember that a sharp rejection of alcoholic beverages is fraught with the development of alcoholic psychosis in the patient, therefore, withdrawal from binge should also be carried out in a hospital. The following measures can help the body cope with alcohol intoxication:
- Induce vomiting.
- Conducting cleansing enema.
- The use of diuretic diuretics, for example, Pyrethanide, Furasemide, Metolazone, Bumetanide, etc.
- Providing a drinking regime. During intoxication, you need to drink plenty of clean water.
- Use of enterosorbents, for example, activated carbon, Smecta, Atoxil, Polysorb. These drugs can help the body get rid of the decay products of ethanol.
- Receiving Glycine or Corvalol, which helps to improve the flow of oxygen to the parts of the brain.
- Reception of hepatoprotectors. These funds can help stop the dystrophic process that has begun in the liver and will further contribute to its recovery.
- Eating more fruits and vegetables to increase the intake of vitamins and especially ascorbic acid. Sometimes you can take ready-made multivitamin complexes.
- To support the digestive tract, restore the intestinal microflora and neutralize the effect of toxins, it is recommended to use fermented milk products. To facilitate the digestive process, you need to eat the finest chopped food: cereals, mashed soups, broths. Fiber also helps in cleansing the intestines, so you need to eat more fresh herbs, fruits, vegetables.
- To help the excretory system, you can take not only diuretics, but also laxatives. Additionally, it is required to abandon the use of smoked, salted and fatty foods, coffee, carbonated drinks - these products make it difficult to generate and allocate waste.
All steps to restore the body after drinking alcohol are similar to the activities that are carried out to rehabilitate the patient with alcohol intoxication. The treatment regimen and drugs for restoring the body after alcohol are selected by a specialist (narcologist). On their own, the patient can only stabilize the daily menu, making it sparing and refuse alcohol and cigarettes - nicotine also worsens the condition of a person. Medication includes taking:
- vitamin and mineral complexes;
- sedative pharmaceuticals (antidepressants, nootropics);
- medicines that improve the functioning of the heart muscle (myocardium).
To completely get rid of alcoholism, a person dependent on alcohol needs psychological help. If he is aware of his current state, then this will speed up the process of getting out of it. In this case, not only the support of loved ones is considered important, but also the advice of professional psychologists, because often former alcoholics face severe depression. The latter should not be treated using special medications, as the poisoned body must be maximally cleaned of toxins, otherwise it will begin to receive new harmful substances.
During remedial measures aimed at cleansing the body of ethanol residues, you can reasonably connect some recipes that relate to traditional medicine. Healing tinctures and decoctions of medicinal herbs have a diuretic and soothing effect on the nervous system. Useful Tips:
- Alcoholism negatively affects the state of bone tissue, because he removes salts. This not only worsens the condition of the bones, but also badly affects the metabolic processes occurring in the human body. To restore salt balance, it is recommended to drink mineral water, brine and eat salty foods.
- Russian sauna. The toxins accumulated in the body begin to be actively excreted through the skin when a person sweats profusely. For this reason, visiting the steam room will help reduce the recovery period. It is important to take into account that a bathhouse should not be visited by people with cardiovascular diseases. Even if everything is in order, it is recommended to consult a cardiologist, and only then follow the recommendations of a specialist, taking into account well-being and your own feelings.
- Yellow gentian. This plant has a choleretic and cleansing effect. To prepare the tincture, it is necessary to steam 15 g of raw material with 200 ml of boiling water, after which leave the composition to infuse for 10-15 minutes. It should be taken on an empty stomach in half a glass.
- Rosehip. A handful of dried fruits must be finely chopped and then pour 1 liter of boiling water. As a container, it is better to use a thermos. After an hour, filter the resulting infusion. Drink the resulting solution should be regular, and for taste, you can supplement it with natural honey.
- Horsetail. Grind the fresh grass in a meat grinder, then squeeze the juice with gauze. Healing broth is best prepared for the future, mixed with an equal amount of honey and freeze. Drink this drink on an empty stomach with 25 ml. Horsetail is characterized by the fact that it is able to provide a powerful cleansing effect.